***Effective September 2, 2021: Food and drink is not permitted at any Libraries location until further notice.
This policy applies to our Pittsburgh campus. Additional guidance is available for our Qatar library.***
The Carnegie Mellon University Libraries is committed to supporting teaching, learning, and research efforts at the university. To ensure that the physical spaces of the Libraries continue to enhance the quality of the CMU student experience, we ask that you please observe the following policies, which apply to our Hunt, Sorrells, and Mellon Institute locations as well as the Posner Center.
Drinks & Snacks
Non-alcoholic drinks in covered containers and small, contained snacks are permitted throughout Libraries spaces with the exception of:
- Hunt Library, Fine and Rare Books Room
- Hunt Library, University Archives
- Mellon Institute Library, Main Reading Area
- The Posner Center
Seeking a place to eat your meal?
- Near Hunt Library - Posner Hall, first and second floors; Baker Hall A-level; Cohon University Center
- Near Sorrells Library - Scott Hall; Rotheberg's Roasters II; Newell Simon Atrium
- Outdoors - Peace Garden; bistro chairs in front of Hunt Library; Adirondack chairs on The Cut
- Given the community nature of these spaces, we ask that individuals consuming food be aware of the impact on others, and take care to avoid mess or spillages.
- Unattended food and/or beverages are subject to being disposed of by staff.
- Clean up any spills right away—if additional assistance is needed, contact library staff.
- Properly dispose of all food, trash, compostables, and recycling.
- Library users who refuse to comply with the Food and Drink Policy may be asked to leave the building.
Library administration may approve special events during which exemptions to the food and drink policy may be made. Prior approval from Library administration must be sought for any exemptions to the Food and Drink Policy.