History of the libraries
The history of the Carnegie Mellon University library is a reflection of Carnegie Mellonâ€™s history â€“ pragmatic and entrepreneurial. The first libraries on campus were departmental libraries scattered across campus and tucked away in offices. As faculty and students realized a central library was needed, the various collections were moved into the Hut, a converted WWI canteen. During WWII, the library was moved back into repurposed offices. Finally, in 1961, thanks to the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Hunt, we moved into our first (and only) purpose-built library. Carnegie Mellon now also has two disciplinary libraries -- Sorrells Engineering and Science Library and the Mellon Institute, as well as a library in Qatar.
1900 The Carnegie Technical Schools are founded. Students have to walk across Junction Hollow to use the Carnegie Public Library in Oakland.
1920 Carnegie Techâ€™s first central library, affectionately known as â€śThe Hut,â€ť opens in a converted WWI soldierâ€™s canteen.
1943 The library moves into room 240 Industries Hall (now Porter Hall), so that the Hut could be returned to its original purpose, a dining facility.
1949 The ever-growing library collection moves to the more spacious rooms 355-360 Administration Hall (now Baker Hall).
1958 Mr. and Mrs. Roy A. Hunt donates the funds to build Hunt Botanical Library to house Carnegie Techâ€™s library and Mrs. Huntâ€™s collection of fine and rare botanical books.
1961 Hunt Library opens, with the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation Institute occupying the 5th floor.
1967 Carnegie Tech gains a second library, following its merger with the Mellon Institute.
1971 The Engineering and Science Library, Carnegie Mellonâ€™s third official library, opens on the fourth floor of Science Hall (now Wean Hall).
2004 The Posner Center opens, housing the Posner Memorial Collection.
2006 The Maggie Murph CafĂ© opens in Hunt Library.
2010 Exterior lights are added to Hunt Library.
2012 The Engineering and Science Library is renamed the Roger Sorrells Engineering and Science Library.