A graduate of Carnegie Institute of Technology, class of 1940, Alexander Sansosti was Head of the Architectural Development Division of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company from 1941 to 1952. As a member of U.S. Navy Seabees in the Pacific Ocean theatre during World War II, Sansosti designed and built numerous military installations and facilities, and served with noted architect Bruce Goff (1904-1982), who had a significant and unconventional practice in the Midwest and--during the war--California. Sansosti was acquainted with Italian architect Gio Ponti, though his wife Linda Pizzi Sansosti, who met Ponti while stranded in Italy during the war.
Sansosti operated his own firm beginning in 1952, though he also supervised construction of Three Rivers Stadium and other buildings for the firm of Deeter Ritchey Sippel. He maintained a significant postwar Pittsburgh-area practice, especially in houses and churches. Most notable are St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Cecil Township, Washington County, PA, and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Clairton, PA (not built), with their expansive and expressive folded roofs made of concrete and Corten steel respectively.
The Sansosti Collection consists primarily of architectural drawings, photographs, and miscellaneous papers documenting 18 projects including houses and churches.