The firm of Longfellow, Alden & Harlow was organized in 1886, with branches in Boston and Pittsburgh. Frank Alden (1859-1908) had come to Pittsburgh in 1884 to supervise works in the city by H. H. Richardson, and after Richardson's death formed a partnership with Wadsworth Longfellow (1854-1934) and Alfred Harlow (1857-1927) of Boston. Alden and Harlow (after 1892) worked primarily in Pittsburgh, while Longfellow headed the Boston office until his resignation in 1896, after which the firm became known as Alden & Harlow. This was one of the leading firms in Pittsburgh, under both names -- designing prominent banks, office buildings, and mansions for the new industrial elite, as well as a series of Carnegie libraries in Pittsburgh and surrounding communities. The Carnegie Institute (1892-1895 and 1903-1907) was the firm's most important project. The firm continued into the 1920s, but lost much of its prominence in Pittsburgh after Alden's death in 1908.
Includes blueprints of selected residential projects from 1919-1929, blueprints of Edgehill, the never-completed Lovejoy house (1903), and an extraordinary portfolio of photographs by noted Pittsburgh photographer Ralph Johnston documenting Vancroft, the J. B. Vandergrift estate near Wellsburg, West Virginia, and its many buildings designed by Alden & Harlow beginning in 1901. Margaret Henderson Floyd calls Vancroft "Alden & Harlow's consummate architectural achievement."
Floyd, Margaret Henderson. Architecture After Richardson: Regionalism Before Modernism -- Longfellow, Alden, and Harlow in Boston and Pittsburgh. Chicago and Pittsburgh: University of Chicago Press and Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, 1994.