Sorrells Library Renovations
We are excited to announce that Phase 2 of the renovation of the Sorrells Engineering & Science Library will take place over the coming winter break. This responds to very strong feedback from students who acclaimed the first phase of work, completed in 2013, with requests for additional study and collaboration spaces. Planned with student and faculty input, the new Sorrells design will provide a variety of spaces to support learning needs, including:
- 320 study spaces, an increase of 25% on the present layout
- added group study and project rooms
- individual study carrels
- ‘The Den,’ a meeting, display, and discussion space
- additional power outlets and furniture
- new lighting, HVAC, and interior finishes
Sorrells Library will close at 6pm on Friday, December 16, and is scheduled to reopen Tuesday, January 17 at 8am.
See up-to-date hours.
Sorrells Library faculty and staff will still be available to assist library users during the renovation. Our email addresses and phone numbers will remain the same and our temporary office location will be in Hunt Library, Studio B (first floor).
If you have any questions about the renovation project or closure, see the below FAQ or contact us.
As the Sorrells Library renovation project enters its final week, check out our progress in our Facebook photo gallery.
Sorrells Library will close at 6pm on Friday, December 16, and is scheduled to reopen at 8am on Tuesday, January 17.
See up-to-date hours.
Print materials will temporarily be moved out of the library.
Incoming E&S print items will be housed temporarily at Hunt Library
- New E&S print journal issues – Hunt 3rd floor
- New E&S print books – Hunt 1st floor
Effective immediately - extended loan period for E&S print books
- E&S books will not be due until January 17
- If you want to return E&S books, return them to Hunt Library. See hours.
For best results, faculty should request E&S print reserves before December 14.
- Print reserves requested before Dec. 14 will be available at Hunt Library at the beginning of the semester
- A delay might occur for print reserves requested after Dec. 14
Details at library.cmu.edu/using/reserves.