On Tuesday, March 20, 2018, the University Libraries will launch a new integrated library system, called Primo, that will include a new online catalog that will impact all searches on library.cmu.edu. This page will walk you through the changes.
What is an integrated library system?
An integrated library system allows searching of all the library resources, databases, ebooks and ejournals, as well as material found in the library catalog (books, journals, scores, video and audio recordings, and other physical items in the collections). Options are available to search everything, or to limit your search to Articles & More, Books and More (the library catalog). After a search is performed, there are facets to refine your search further. The search options will also appear at the top of each page within library.cmu.edu.
Why is the University Libraries launching a new integrated library system?
The University Libraries implemented its current online catalog in 1995. In that time, standards in web design have changed, technology has advanced, and the needs of our users have evolved. It is against this background that our online catalog system has become quite outdated, negatively impacting productivity. The new catalog will improve how users browse, search, and discover materials.
How will Primo, the new system, be different from the old system?
In the intervening decades since its implementation, advancements in library systems have improved to allow for a more integrated approach to library system management. Primo's features include:
- Browse Search: offers a way to browse materials by author, title, subject, or call number
- Journal Search: gives you list of journals we have related to the keywords you enter
- Citation Linker: find a specific journal article, journal, or book by entering citation information
- Advanced Search: useful for limiting your search with advanced options if you know what you're looking for
- Save records to your Favorites list
- Export to citation managers like Mendeley and Zotero
When will Primo be live?
Primo will go live on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 We will update this page with more information when it is available.
You'll use Primo the same way you used our old system:
- Search and access physical and electronic items
- Retrieve full-text articles for collections we have access to
- Manage account information (see checked out items, renew items, place holds, see fines/fees)
- Find Course Reserves materials
- Save your favorite items
- Print or export records to citation managers
- Book Technology Lending equipment (cameras, projectors, screens, etc)
- Sign in to make sure you'll be able to use all the features
- Enter keyword terms
Here's a short description of each search option:
- Everything: searches all books, journals, databases, articles, music, theses, and more
- Articles & More: searches databases and journals for articles
- Books & More: searches physical items (books, journals, music, and more) and some eBooks
- Old Library Catalog: searches physical items (books, journals, music, and more) and some eBooks
- Site Search: searches the website
The old library catalog will be available until May 31, 2018 with limited features.
Unfortunately, any Favorites you have saved in the old library catalog won't transfer to the new catalog.
Here are the steps to email or export your Favorites:
- Log into My Account with Andrew ID and password
- Select Favorites in right column
- Select items to email/ export
- Select desired options (email, export, print)
As of May 31, 2018, all old links to library holdings (i.e. any links with vufind in it) will cease to function. We recommend either updating links to the new catalog or replacing your links with citations. The use of citations will ensure that your information remains up-to-date and is not dependent on links that one day may fail to work.
You must sign in to your account in order to request items from offsite.
Once signed in, you will be able to request items and will be notified when they are ready to be picked up.
You must sign in to your account in order to book technology and equipment items.
Once signed in, you will be able to select the booking start date and booking end date (within 24 hours).