Carnegie Alumnus (1914-1982)
The Carnegie Alumnus, (known by several different titles over time) is a publication written to keep alumni of Carnegie Mellon University up to date on events related to the school. The first issue was published in 1914. The last issue was published in 1982 when it became the Carnegie Mellon Magazine.
Carnegie Day, instituted in 1913, was a celebration of Andrew Carnegie’s birthday in which the Carnegie Tech community gathered to enjoy music from the school band, announcements of scholarships and honoraries, and a speech from an individual selected by Tech’s President. The collection consists of programs, correspondence, memos, drafts of speeches, tickets and other ephemera.
Linear Feet: 1 Boxes: 1
This collection contains published and unpublished annual reports, published historical documents, and unpublished notes and correspondence related to the Carnegie Institute and its function as the parent organization for the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, The Carnegie Museums, and the Carnegie Institute of Technology.
Linear Feet: 2.5 Boxes: 3
More like this: University Records
This collection includes information from the Dean's Office and the departments of Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Commercial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering & Public Policy, Engineering Design Research Center, Metallurgy & Mining Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Science & Engineering, and Robotics.
Linear Feet: 25 Boxes: 26
More like this: University Records
The School College Orientation Program in Pittsburgh (SCOPP) began as a joint program between the university and the Pittsburgh Public Schools to help academically and economically disadvantaged students prepare for college. SCOPP merged with its national counterpart, Upward Bound, in 1966. C-MAP began in 1968 to address problems facing ethnically diverse students at the college level.
Linear Feet: 4 Boxes: 8
The Carnegie Mellon University Women’s Center identifies and addresses the problems, needs and goals of women on campus and in the larger community. The center provides information, educational programs, community service, support and entertainment regarding a broad range of issues and concerns that profoundly affect women's lives.
Linear Feet: .75 Boxes: 1
More like this: University Records
Charette (1920-1974)
Charette (vols. 1-54, 1920-1974) was the journal of the Pittsburgh Architectural Club; and was later co-sponsored by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. Over the years, its coverage of architecture extended beyond Pittsburgh to the whole of Pennsylvania, and the Tri-State area of Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, and West Virginia.
More like this: Architecture, Publication
This collection contains the papers of Charles J. Geiss (1919-2009), a graduate of the Carnegie Institute of Technology’s Department of Electrical Engineering in 1939. The collection reflects Geiss’s involvement in the University’s Kiltie Band.
Linear Feet: .25 Boxes: 1
More like this: Student Life, Alumni Papers
This collection contains the materials of Charles Proteus Steinmetz, the former President of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers. This collection contains a number of letters about obtaining and exhibiting Steinmetz's materials, most of which are from or to Robert E. Doherty, later president of Carnegie Institute of Technology, who was a pupil of Steinmetz at the General Electric Company.
Linear Feet: 1
More like this:
The Chicago Portage is the birthplace of Chicago. A small portion of the historic connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi waterways is preserved in the Forest Preserve District of Cook County's Portage Woods and Ottawa Trail Woods in Lyons, Illinois. It is one of only two National Historic Sites in Illinois and one of the few in the country that is not owned by the National Park Service.
More like this:
Chloe Pollack Molnar (Lois Pollack) graduated from the Drama School of Carnegie Tech in 1952. After graduating, Ms. Molnar kept in touch with Professor of Drama Mary Morris, who was also the first actress ever to play Abbie Putnam in Eugene O'Neill's tragedy, "Desire Under the Elms." This collection consists mostly of correspondence from Ms. Morris to Ms. Molnar.
Linear Feet: .5 Boxes: 1
More like this: Drama, Alumni Papers
Clarence Melvin Zener was a recognized physics professor at Carngie Mellon University from 1968 until his death in 1993. The bulk of this collection contains field notebooks, reprints, and abstracts developed for research purposes.
Linear Feet: 2 Boxes: 2
More like this: Physics, Faculty Papers
Dr. Clifford G. Shull shared the 1994 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work in the development of neutron diffraction. Dr. Shull's pioneering efforts in this field laid the groundwork for use of neutrons to study the structure and dynamics of matter. The collection includes: scientific papers by Shull and others, project reports and research proposals; lecture materials, book and paper drafts, publications and journal article reprints, graphic materials, personal papers and awards, and external correspondence.
Linear Feet: 23
More like this: Physics, Faculty Papers
This collection contains field notes, correspondence, photographs, published popular and scientific articles dealing with the Carnegie Museum of Natural History's early paleontological discoveries, especially that of Diplodocus carnegii.
More like this:
CMNH Douglass Archive (1894-1931)
This collection contains field notes, correspondence, photographs, published popular and scientific articles dealing with the Carnegie Museum of Natural History's early paleontological discoveries, especially that of Diplodocus carnegii.
More like this:
The papers include annual reports, Curriculum Committee minutes, and information from the departments of Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Management Engineering, and Physics. The college split during the merger with Mellon Institute in 1967 to become the Mellon College of Science (Sciences) and the Carnegie Institute of Technology (Engineering). This collection includes materials on the College of Industries.
Linear Feet: 17.5 Boxes: 19
More like this: University Records
Officially founded in 1905, Carnegie Mellon University's College of Fine Arts (CFA) was one of the first comprehensive arts learning institutions in the United States. In the planning stages for Carnegie Tech it was decided that instruction and training for students would be included in order “to apply art and design to industries.” Between 1905 and 1907, instruction in the School of Design was limited to Architecture until the fall of 1907 when Applied Design and Interior Decoration were added to the curriculum. In 1912, the first degrees were awarded in architecture, applied design, and interior decoration. In 1913 and 1915, departments in Drama and Sculpture were established, followed by painting and music. The name of the school was changed to the Division of Arts in 1918 and then the College of Fine Arts in 1921.
Linear Feet: 9
This collection contains the papers of the Carnegie Mellon Counseling Center. The Counseling Center, formally known as the Bureau of Mental Tests and the Bureau of Measurement and Guidance, was created in the early years of Carnegie Tech with a focus in aptitude test research. Included in the collection are items that pertain to the daily operations and employees of the center and include reports, receipts, correspondence and tests.
Linear Feet: 3 Boxes: 3
More like this: University Records