College of Fine Arts Records
College of Fine Arts Records (1912-2010)
Officially founded in 1905, Carnegie Mellon University's College of Fine Arts (CFA) was one of the first comprehensive arts learning institutions in the United States. In the planning stages for Carnegie Tech it was decided that instruction and training for students would be included in order “to apply art and design to industries.” Between 1905 and 1907, instruction in the School of Design was limited to Architecture until the fall of 1907 when Applied Design and Interior Decoration were added to the curriculum. In 1912, the first degrees were awarded in architecture, applied design, and interior decoration. In 1913 and 1915, departments in Drama and Sculpture were established, followed by painting and music. The name of the school was changed to the Division of Arts in 1918 and then the College of Fine Arts in 1921.
Linear Feet: 9