Carlton Strong practiced architecture in Buffalo, NY and New York City before locating to Pittsburgh. He was first known as a designer of apartment buildings, including Pittsburgh's Bellefield Dwellings; but Strong's Pittsburgh practice was focused on ecclesiastical buildings. He designing many built and unbuilt projects for Roman Catholic parishes and institutions, and was joined in this work by B. J. Kaiser and Allan H. Neal, and at times by E. W. "Arch" Boyer. Successor firms included Kaiser, Neal & Reid, Alfred D. Reid Associates, and Reid & Stuhldreher, which was ultimately acquired by Astorino. Strong and John T. Comes were Pittsburgh's most important ecclesiastical architects. Strong's most important built work is Sacred Heart Parish Church in Pittsburgh.
The Strong Collection consists of a job list and a large collection of drawings, including sketches, construction drawings, and renderings, documenting more than forty projects dating between 1913 and 1948 (though many others are undated). Projects include churches, schools, rectories, and academic buildings including monumental unbuilt works for Duquesne University and Mount Mercy Academy (now Carlow University). There are a number of fine architectural renderings by E. W. "Arch" Boyer (see also Boyer Collection). The collection represents a selected portion of the records that were acquired from Reid & Stuhldreher by Astorino in 1998.
Kervick, Francis W. Architects in America of Catholic Tradition. Rutland, Vermont: Charles E. Tuttle Company, 1962. 127-128.
Reid & Stuhldreher, PC, A Hundred-Year Retrospective: The Architect's Drawing as a Communicating Medium. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh, 1988.
Strong, Carlton. "Modern Apartment House Planning." Architects' and Builders' Magazine 11 (1909-1910), 471-474; 12 (1910-1911), 13-18.