Pekruhn, an important Pittsburgh architect of the 1950s and 1960s, has been a professor at Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie Mellon) and a Consulting Architect to the Pittsburgh Board of Public Education. He worked in a careful modern manner that could be both understated and highly expressive. Pekruhn's St. Thomas-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church in Gibsonia (1957-1958), with its glass facade and winged trusses, was widely published in the architectural press.
Drawings dating from 1948-1971 document private homes, an extensive urban renewal project in Rankin, St. Thomas-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church in Gibsonia, and demountable classrooms for the Pittsburgh Board of Public Education, which were designed with funding from the Ford Foundation at a time when school populations were expanding rapidly.
"Dynamic Balance and the Joy of Daylight: St. Thomas-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, Gibsonia, Pa." Architectural Record 128 (September 1960), 169-172.
Pekruhn, John. "A Portable School Program for Pittsburgh." Architectural Record (February 1963), 176-178, 182-183.