The firm was a partnership of William Boyd (1882-1947) and Charles Ingham, established in 1911. It was the predecessor firm to the present-day Pittsburgh firm of IKM, Inc. Ingham & Boyd specialized in residential design (with extensive work in the Sewickley, PA area), churches and schools. The firm designed all of the school buildings for Mount Lebanon Township schools from 1917 into the 1930s.
Ingham and Boyd's most important project was Chatham Village, Pittsburgh's innovative 1930s garden suburb. Ingham and Boyd were the architects; Clarence S. Stein and Henry Wright were site planners and consultant architects.
The major portion of the collection consists of drawings and blueprints for Chatham Village. Documentation of work by Ingham & Boyd, Stein and Wright and successor firms extends from 1930 into the 1950s. Also included are fine renderings of the Buhl Planetarium, blueprints of houses from the 1920s and early 1930s, and Boyd's exquisite sketchbooks from his European tour of 1908-1909.