Collection Type:

Biography/History: 

Carnegie Mellon University was founded as the Carnegie Technical Schools in 1904, and was later known as Carnegie Institute of Technology. The early campus (1904-1933) was designed by Henry Hornbostel, of the New York firm of Palmer and Hornbostel, assisted by a campus Building Bureau (see Hornbostel Collection). The campus was expanded in a piecemeal fashion until the late 1980s under a series of partially realized campus plans. The most notable architect of this era was Dahlen K. Ritchey (see Ritchey Collection). A recent construction boom at Carnegie Mellon has derived from an award-winning campus plan authored by Michael Dennis Associates of Boston, winners of the University Center competition of 1987 (see University Center Competition Collection). Recent campus buildings have been designed by Michael Dennis Associates, Kallmann McKinnell and Wood (Boston), Payette Associates (Boston), and IKM (Pittsburgh). Two recent campus-owned buildings at off-campus locations have been Bohlin Cywinski Jackson of Pittsburgh (see Bohlin Cywinski Jackson Collection).

Scope and Content: 

Collection includes record sets for various campus buildings and plans, built and unbuilt. Papers, drawings and a model document an abortive award-winning project by Peter Eisenman for the Carnegie Mellon Research Institute (1987-1990).

Select Bibliography: 

Lewis, David. "Designing the Carnegie Mellon Campus," Carnegie Magazine 59:1 (January/February 1988): 12-19.