Edward J. Carlisle practiced with the firms of Edward J. Carlisle & Co. and Carlisle and Sharrar. The former firm centered its practice on communities south and east of Pittsburgh, and the latter on communities north of Pittsburgh.
Collection documents nearly sixty projects dated ca. 1898-1930 including the Duquesne Municipal Building (1910), Duquesne High School (1913) and the Ellwood City Hospital (1916). Most importantly, the collection includes drawings for numerous "Main Street" commercial buildings erected in the important steel towns of Braddock and Aliquippa (then known as Woodlawn) during the heyday of the steel industry.