William V. Flynn established a post-war practice in McKeesport, Pa. He designed small commercial projects and community and institutional buildings within the city, and housing and other projects for the developing suburbs. Flynn left independent practice to form the firm of Celli-Flynn with Mario Celli in 1950.
The Flynn Collection includes projects dating from the late 1940s and early 1950s. Working drawings, sketches, and renderings document new facades and interiors for stores, restaurants and taverns; a war memorial, a comfort station, buildings for the local VFW and the United Steelworkers local, developer housing for Herbert Sullivan and Sullivan Homes, and a series of gasoline stations for the Stirling Division of the Quaker State Oil and Refining Company in western Pennsylvania and New York state.
The most significant items in the collection may be the drawings for renovations to working-class taverns. Flynn's designs are the carrara glass, glass block, and neon confections typical of the mid-twentieth-century neighborhood bar. Drawings for these and other projects often include measured drawings of the buildings before their alteration.