The Isaly Dairy Company, famed for its cold cuts, Skyscraper cones and Klondike bars, was founded as the Mansfield Pure Milk Company in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1902. The company later took the name of its founder, William Isaly. The Isaly Dairy Company of Pittsburgh was founded in 1931, and expanded rapidly through the region's commercial districts. Many of the Isaly's dairy bars and retail stores in western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia were designed by Pittsburgh architect Vincent Schoeneman during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Most of these were simple storefronts of ivory and black carrara glass, but there was at least one large free-standing store of a more suburban character planned for Saw Mill Run Boulevard. In addition to plans and elevations, the architect also completed detail drawings of signage and soda fountains.
Sadly, most Isaly's are now gone, their storefronts remodeled out of existence.
Numerous drawings and a small number of photographs represent dozens of Isaly's dairy bars and retail stores in numerous communities. A number of Isaly's dairies and offices are also documented, including the main plant in Youngstown, Ohio.