Collection Type:

Dates: 
1884 to 1966
Biography/History: 

The Uniontown architectural firm established by Harry W. Altman in 1909 became one of the leading practices in the southwestern Pennsylvania counties south of Pittsburgh. Now known as Altman and Altman, it is among the handful of oldest architectural firms in the entire region. The firm has specialized in schools.

Scope and Content: 

The early history (1915-1925) of the Altman firm is recorded in a portfolio preserved in the Architecture Archives as large-format negatives. It documents sixty-four projects including schools, banks, commercial and religious buildings, and houses. Projects are located in Uniontown and surrounding communities in Fayette, Washington and Greene counties, including a number of small mining and industrial towns (patch towns). Original drawings document additional projects (1913-1930) including the General Braddock gravestone and proposed related park development near the Fort Necessity National Battlefield.